Saturday, January 24, 2015

January Garden

I’m not so sure how I feel about this year-round gardening thing. Sure, it’s great to pull some fresh veggies out of your backyard in the middle of winter, but I kind of miss the winter break. Not that I’ve been working too hard out there!

So, to recap, for the first time I tried a fall “garden.” In August I planted broccoli, a few brussels sprouts seedlings, and tried to start some onions from seed. In theory, the brassicas enjoy the cooling weather of fall, giving harvests between Thanksgiving and Christmas. The onions sprout and, like the garlic, winter over for a summertime harvest.

As you’ve probably guessed, it didn’t work that way.

The brussels sprouts hunkered down and did nothing. One of them disappeared without a trace by September. Three attempts at seeding onions resulted in a half-dozen feeble seedlings which all got buried under the great Poop Drop in November (they were too small to work around). The broccoli did slightly better, but they were not about to adhere to my mental time schedule.

It wasn’t until the beginning of November that the broccoli started acting like broccoli.

Garden 11

 

Barely. I have been deeply grateful that I have real row cover material this year (thanks Mom & Dad), so I was able to leave it over the plants without worrying about them overheating, or being blocked from sunlight and rainfall. When we had a week or so of nights above freezing, I could easily enough uncover them for a little sunbathing.

IMG_20150107_161619_465

The flower pot is to protect the cover from the pointy-ish end of the support stick. I took this picture the first week of January, so you can see it took nearly two months for this crop to get anywhere near harvest size. Or five months from planting, which was probably another month or two after seeding.

These are some well-aged broccoli.

There was a little bonus under there, too. Over summer I let some of my springtime lettuce go to seed, and these guys came up close enough to the broccoli to include them under the cover. So I had a little fresh January greenery on my sandwiches for a week or so.

IMG_20150107_162136_408

Another week after these photos we were hit by a serious deep freeze, with temperatures in the single digits and wind chills around zero. (Yes, it does get cold in North Carolina, just not for long.) So I harvested everything I could…four decent-sized heads.

IMG_20150107_171515

They’re smaller than the ones the farmers grow, but they are beautifully compact with a lovely dark color. I assume that means more vitamins.

I immediately blanched and froze them, filling a quart bag and a little bit more. I was surprised to find this hitchhiker during the process.

IMG_20150107_171858

I then checked all the other heads and didn’t find a single other worm! That’s amazing, and a big benefit to “fall” gardening.

I wasn’t sure if broccoli could survive a deep freeze under cover (I actually have two layers over most of it), so as an experiment I left behind the smallest main head, along with the decapitated plants. If they do survive, I should get a fair number of secondary heads, bumping up my harvest a bit. At the moment, the results are surprisingly indefinite. Some of the plants look completely dead, others have some dead leaves and some healthy ones, and most of the small heads are looking ok for now. I think the one main head I left is a loss. But if there’s one thing I’ve learned about “fall” gardening, it’s that things happen at a much slower pace than in spring and summer, so I’ll let this experiment play to its end.

A week after my pre-freeze harvest, it was time to do this.

IMG_20150118_111056

Yup, I just started seeds for spring! And while the old generation gives its last gasp outside, the next one is just getting started inside.

IMG_20150121_131120

To quote my favorite author, “So it goes.”

6 comments:

  1. Every time I read this posts I think to myself, "self, because I often call myself that, I'm soooo lazy." And then I move on to the next blog to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah well, at least you're not too lazy to read all my babblings!

      Delete
  2. Did the broccoli seem as tender as your usual crops? (wondering about the prolonged growing time. But what do I know, it's been years since I grew anything and I have NEVER grown broccoli) We have about three feet of snow over everything right now. Indoor seed starts are a dim and distant activity in about, say, mid-April or so! Interesting to read about your experiments. How are the furry critters lately?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was quite delicious actually. I think it was happier in the cool fall and cold winter, as our spring heats up so fast it often gets confused and bolts. The Girls are great. Rosie has her luxurious winter coat on and McKenna keeps us laughing.

      Delete
  3. This year I am planting two or so plants,that's it. And NO squash! None! Thank you for stopping by my blog this morning and for your very kind comments too. XXXOOO

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by--please share your thoughts!

"Every time we get comment mail, Rosie wags her tail!" (Seriously, you should see that puffy thing go.)