Friday, October 8, 2010

Friday Fragments: Feeling Fine!


Hello, Friday!  So happy you could come again!

I've had a very good week, and am full of positive energy for the weekend.  It promises to be another lovely fall one, and I realized just a few days ago that I have Monday off!  So maybe I stand a chance of getting through my "to-do" list.

~~~Φ~~~

I think a large part of my contentedness springs from teaching this week.  For some reason, I headed into the quarter with a very different attitude.  Maybe it's because I've been through this syllabus once; maybe it's that my other job is very slow and boring right now; maybe it's because Miss Chef is teaching too; maybe it's simply because I'm not working overtime and every Saturday on my other job.  Or maybe I've just blissfully forgotten how much work it turns into once I have to write and grade homework and exams!

Whatever the reason, I entered the classroom more pumped up and enthusiastic both evenings this week.  And whether it's their nature, or I was putting out good energy, my students have responded well so far.  It's a small group, but I have several who seem to be truly interested in learning, rather than just getting some elective credits under their belts.

Or maybe it's this comment from a former student I recently uncovered, from a summer teaching job I had in France over 10 years ago: "Her attitude was positive and it seemed that she really enjoyed spending her summer with us."  I did enjoy those two summers, and I know that a student's perception of a teacher's enthusiasm for a subject is one of the top factors in student success.  So hopefully, we'll all have a great fall quarter.

~~~Φ~~~

For my newer readers...well, no, for all of you, I'd like to officially introduce the two tabs I added recently at the top of the page (right below that charming canine portrait). 

"About This Blog" is an introduction to me and what I do here.  Even if you've been reading for a while, you may find some new tidbits in there.  I decided to add that because I'm often frustrated when I discover new blogs, as I like to know where the writers live, if they're naive 20-somethings or experienced 50-year olds, how long ago they moved/started farming/got married, whatever.  So if you've had any lingering questions like "What the #&!! is a flartus??" you might check there.

The second tab is a collection of my favorite photos, suitable for desktop backgrounds.  I've used them, so why shouldn't you?  (Of course, I'm assuming you'll only download them for your personal use...otherwise, don't.)

~~~Φ~~~

I also wanted to respond to some of your amusing comments from last week's post.  I'm so glad you got a giggle out of it, and I have to say when I re-read it this afternoon, I started giggling again, too!  Mom L and Terry, seriously--those kayaks are not nearly as tippy as you think.  If you ever get the chance, and you're told they are stable, sit-on-top kayaks, please give it a try, ok?  Just make sure to pack a full set of dry clothes, just in case.  'Cause you will get wet, even if when you remain topside.

I should also tell you all that Miss Chef said she was "indignant" that I just had to share her story on my blog.  But don't worry, I'm not feeling guilty, because the truth is, she's the one who gave me the idea.  As soon as she was back on her kayak, she said "I'm sure this is going to end up on your blog."  I figured she was giving me permission! 

~~~Φ~~~

This nice cool fall weather means it's truly Halloween season here, and I have yet to pull the decorations out of the closet.  But, for you, I'm going to pull out another Halloween tradition around here: tangerine-glazed pumpkin cookies!


I wrote about these last year, but it was after Halloween before I shared the recipe.  So, to give you all a chance to try it, here it is, weeks early!  I amaze myself sometimes.  (The link is to the the Health Magazine website...so you know they're good for you, right?)

 Before you decide to comment that you're no good at baking, let me tell you: these are stoopid easy.  Last year, mine even turned out better than Miss Chef's.

Oh, and did I mention they're delicious??

~~~Φ~~~

Finally, it's high time I acknowledged Mal's (aka The Nekkid Chicken)'s award that got her onto my Christmas gift list.  I'm pretty bad at this; once I get around to posting after someone's given me one, I usually have something more urgent I want to talk about (like COOKIES, om nom nom!)

Where was I?

Oh, right, the Lovely Blog Award.
Of course, this comes with a set of instructions.

1. Accept the award. Post it on your blog with the name of the person who has granted the award and his or her blog link.   That would be Mal, of the Nekkid Chicken blog.

2. Pay it forward to 15 other bloggers that you have newly discovered.

3. Contact those blog owners and let them know they’ve been chosen.
 
Hmmm...15 newly discovered blogs??? Sheesh, that's a tall order!  I'm not sure I read that many blogs at all (that's not true; I'm sure if I counted I would be astonished by how many I follow!).
 
Well, I'm going to share with you several blogs I really like, whether I've newly discovered them or not, and whether they add up to 15 or not.  Many of you probably know each other, but I still like to give a shout-out or pat on the back for good writing, fun stories or the equivalent of a warm smile.  If you're looking for something new, take a little scroll on down...

New note: Notice I'm not technically "awarding" anyone...if you want to claim it, please do.  But I don't want to make anyone feel they have to reciprocate or acknowledge this on their own blogs.  Just enjoy the pat on the back and continue on with your day.
 
1. Bossy Betty: Is, in fact, recently discovered.  Not only is she hi-LAR-ious, but she's an English teacher, so she certainly has a way with a phrase.  And she takes really interesting pictures.  And shares interesting poetry.  And I hope she doesn't get upset I just lined up so many fragments starting with  "and." ;)
 
2. The 7MSN Ranch: New Mexico skies, rambunctious burros, personable hens, a horse named Hank, a pot-bellied pig named Wynonna, the best rattlesnake guard dog north of the Rio Grande, and a human with fantastic photography skills, all living happily 7 Miles South of Nowhere.
 
3. Farm Fresh Fun: I can't remember what it was, other than a desire to stay close to the earth and the seasons, but I felt that Leslie and I had a lot in common.  And she has the occasional random animal invade her kitchen, so, you know, that's the fun part!
 
4. and 5. BooneDocks Wilcox and A Little Farm With a Big Heart:  Besides their sharing of their respective collections of furred and feathered residents, I often visit these two blogs to troll through their blogrolls.  'Cause they know some interesting folks!  (I've probably found some of your blogs through theirs, so I guess that's no news to you!)  Thanks to Joanne and AJ for letting me meet so many others.
 
6. Laughing Orca Ranch: From struggling back from a serious horseback-riding injury, to making some tough decisions and finding a wonderful new riding partner, to hikes and trips and life in New Mexico, Lisa has shown me a whole other side of the world.  And she's another great photographer (the fact she posts a lot of horse and chicken pictures doesn't hurt, either).
 
7. Mucky Boots Farm: Miriam and I have a LOT in common.  I want to be just like her when I grow up.
 
8. Cold Antler Farm: This is not a recent discovery, but it is a fascinating, ongoing story of a single 20-something struggling to start up a small working farm near the NY/VT border.  She has a gift for storytelling, both in pictures and in words.  She writes a lot of things I wish I could.
 
9. Morning Bray Farm: More donkeys!  A whole little herd of them!  Do they know how spoiled and loved they are?  Who cares; they're so entertaining and lovable.
 
10. Faites Simple:  This is truly a new discovery, just today.  Elaine is a Brit living in San Francisco.  I love seeing our country through a foreigner's perspective.
 
11. Patou Alpacas:  Speaking of Brits...this fellow's "ramblings" about his small alpaca farm are so warm and dry, I almost want to pull on my wellies and go check out fleeces with him.
 
Okay, I'm done....I think the rest of the blogs I follow feel to much like old friends to even try to include here!  Plus, it's nearing my bedtime, and if I'm going to find time to make those pumpkin cookies and get a fall garden started, I'm gonna need some rest.
 
Have a good weekend, everyone!

8 comments:

  1. Oh! Aren't you the sweetest to give lil' ol' me an award? Thanks so much for the shout-out. You know I am a big slug when it comes to following rules and giving out awards. Can I just give you an A for this post and we'll call it even?

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree with you more about when a teacher has enthusiasm and it shows. Made me remember way back when a few teachers beamed with it. And with that energy flowing, you couldn't help but learn.
    Love the pic of Rosie at the gate. please give that big ol beautiful girl a hug from me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific, upbeat post. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Kudos for you and your wonderful stle of teaching. You're making a huge and positive difference in the world....and your students know it, too.
    Sounds like you have some great reasons to be feeling happy this weekend, and I hope the weekend is proving to be everything you were hoping for and more. Here's to getting lots of stuff accomplished, especially eating those delish pumpkin cookies....I love pumpkin and will def. make some for me...er....my kidlets, too. lol!

    Oh, and "I'm sure this is going to end up on your blog." is a sentence I hear quite often among my family members and circle of friends. lol! They see the camera come out and they already know they'll be stars on my blog. hehe!

    Thanks for the award, too. So sweet of you to think of me. It's weird, and cool, at the same time to read how others think of me or perceive me. I've been touched and affected by many people in the blog world and you all have enriched my life greatly :)

    And I already feel like one of your dear, old friends, too....well maybe not the old part. hehehe!

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a glorious Fall, isn't it? It put me in a good mood too, 'till I saw snow, and remembered what comes next!
    I love the jelly fish on your photo tab. Wow.

    Will I find five-spice powder in the grocery store, or is it something you make? Don't laugh; I'm going to try the cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Flartus. We are going to The Big City (a rare occurance) tomorrow, so I'll look for it there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you're in trouble, if you want to be like me when you grow up! [What does that mean, anyway - who ever feels grown up, regardless of their age?]

    Anyway, thanks for the mention - but thanks about a million times more for the cookie recipe - those look awfully tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you had a good, long weekend! Funny that you mention the new tabs on your blog - I just enjoyed reading through them.

    Don always says the same thing to me about "This would be a good blog post," or "This is going to end up as a blog post, isn't it?" :)

    Those cookies look absolutely delish.

    And thanks for the pat on the back. :) We love your blog too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by--please share your thoughts!

"Every time we get comment mail, Rosie wags her tail!" (Seriously, you should see that puffy thing go.)