Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Freeze Warning


Wuh-oh! All is not sunshine and warmth here in NC. At least, not yet. The past two years we've had a hard freeze around Easter, and it looks like this year is going to follow that pattern. I finally learned my lesson last year, and we have delayed planting those eager little tomato and bean seedlings. But I still scrambled around after work tonight, covering a few things here and there.


Brussels sprouts are a new plant for me, so I figured I'd protect them. The peas I planted last fall survived a few hard frosts, and it's only supposed to get to 32 or so tonight, so I figure these guys under the trellis should be okay. Dunno about the potatoes in the back, but I didn't have enough pots to cover them, so we'll find out the hard way, I guess. (That's garlic right in the front.)


On the other hand, I was excited to use the cold frame lids that Miss Chef and I just finished off last weekend. These are the mini raised beds we made from a falling-apart planter; we saved two of the sections to use as lids, and nailed heavy plastic over them. We were going to use plexiglass, but sheez, that $tuff is expen$ive! The bricks are holding down the corners that rock up due to warping. Hey, it works, and it only cost us $7. Plus, y'know, we still have about 50 feet of that plastic left.



Even the herb garden got a little attention. I'm not sure how some of these guys do in the cold, but I know cilantro is fragile, and Miss Chef was so excited about her lemon thyme I decided to use my last pot on that one! Like the frog on top of the pot? It was a decorative bit on a trellis, but fell off this winter. Now the little guy's earning his keep.

Well, got lots to do inside now, so that's it. Tomorrow afternoon it's supposed to go back up to 62 degrees. Are we done yet??

Update: When I left the house this morning, I had to scrape my windshield, but there was no frost on the grass. So I think anything close to the ground stayed above freezing. But you never know--two years ago this week, temps dropped into the teens, causing millions of dollars worth of damage to local fruit crops.

5 comments:

  1. I hope all of your plants will be OK! The weather has really been up and down here this spring too. I love the little raised beds and you sure can't beat that cost!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your crafty gardening. When will your first crops come in?

    By the way - it's supposed to be 70 here today and 80 tomorrow, so the trend is definitely improving. But right now it's too cold and breezy still to walk. I think I'll wait until the sun warms things up a little.

    And to answer your question - we had BETTER be done. This April cold snap business is for the birds (and when I say birds, I mean arctic penguins)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you know we had snow flurries here in Atlanta yesterday!?? Very cool! I've had snow envy all winter while looking at the tons of it in the pictures Diane took out there in I-O-Way!!!

    You and Miss Chef do a great job with your garden..you can be very proud!

    Nancy in Atlanta

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I am the only person in the world who doesn't like cilantro. Keep it out of my salsa!

    Snow is melting here but we had a snow storm here for a couple of days, white outs due to the wind and all, today is better. Not that much accumulation of snow but much wind.

    We can't plant much of anything outside until Labor Day. I saw at Lowes Hardware, they had aisles and aisles of plants waiting to go out to the Garden Center.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I have a facebook page I just started under Jennifer Fulton. I don't know why I didn't mention that on my post. I tried myspace for a short (very short) while when a good friend encouraged me too, but I hated it. So many ads, so much clutter and argh all those confusing "gifts & drinks and other applications. LOL

    Thank you for the tomato seedling advice too! I will try that, I am hoping the weather will stabilize enough here to put them outside soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by--please share your thoughts!

"Every time we get comment mail, Rosie wags her tail!" (Seriously, you should see that puffy thing go.)