Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Missed Opportunity

Oh, man, I was so excited! I actually cooked for myself last night, all by myself, without any help from Miss Chef. Well, I did call her from work before she left the house, to make sure I had the technique correct. But that was it; she wasn't even home when I made my dinner.

And it turned out good. I made some chicken leg quarters flavored with an apple-ginger compote (or, rather, some of Miss Chef's applesauce mixed with ginger and a little salt), garlic roasted potatoes and broccoli with cheese on it. The chicken browned up beautifully, as did the potatoes, and the bright green and yellow on the rest of the plate was a nice counterpoint.

It looked amazing--at least, for me--and I wanted to take a picture of it, to show that I can cook almost as well as Miss Chef, when the stars are properly aligned (and to show Alix I can eat my vegetables!) But after searching high and low throughout the house twice, I couldn't find the camera anywhere. How frustrating! I considered trying the scanner, but decided the ensuing mess wouldn't really be worth it.

So I had to make the sacrifice, and sit down to dinner without preserving for eternity my chef d'Ĺ“uvre. And let me tell you, it tasted as good as it looked. Too bad I couldn't share it with you. The apple-ginger infused the meat even better than I'd hoped, I finally seasoned the potatoes enough to make them irresistable, and there sure was a lot of cheese on that broccoli.

As it turns out, Miss Chef had taken the camera with her to the goat farm on Monday, and never quite got it back into the house. Figures. I guess that just means that I'll have to try to cook another fantabulous meal for myself, and make sure the camera's around when I do it. The picture I used to head this post isn't even the aftermath of my small triumph; I took that after one of Miss Chef's delectable repasts.

I was going to leave you with some more flower pictures, but guess what? I still can't find the camera.

SOMEbody's gonna be in trouble...

6 comments:

  1. dang, you got me salivating. wish there had been photo's. Definetly need to recreate the meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sound so delish! We had pizza delivered - booooo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh, huh. The old "I can't find the camera" trick. Probably what you REALLY had was a Lean Cuisine out of the freezer, hidden deep in the frost so Miss Chef would never see it!

    Well, that's what I would have done....

    Nancy in Atlanta

    ReplyDelete
  4. Y'know, once upon a time...you would not have been far off at all, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I see is a smear of cheese, Flar. No evidence of broccoli ever being on the plate. And that salad bowl is looking P-R-E-T-T-Y full.

    But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because you are looking full of robust health and vigor.

    The chicken (or what's left of it) looks like it was delish. Congrats. Make it for me in Jekyll Island next time you're down? I'll totally meet you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by--please share your thoughts!

"Every time we get comment mail, Rosie wags her tail!" (Seriously, you should see that puffy thing go.)